19th Century Cabinet by Lamb of Manchester
An Exhibition quality cabinet by LAMB of Manchester. An ebonised mahogany, amboyna, satinwood, palisander and parcel gilt Etruscan revival cabinet of exhibition quality by LAMB of Manchester. The marble top on a reeded and fluted frieze supported by eight coupled-pillars, the central glazed door enclosing a mirror-backed and green leather-lined interior blind with gilt stars, flanked by a pair of doors with green jasperware type plaques and incised with stylised gilt hanging lamps, on turned feet. The right hand door stamped LAMB MANCHESTER 727. The cabinet maker James Lamb was established in Manchester in 1843 and his firm quickly gained a reputation for the high quality materials employed. Lamb profited from a wealthy clientele in Manchester and other prosperous towns in the North of England. His furniture was praised at several international exhibitions, including Paris 1867 and again in 1878 when a Gold Medal was received. A matching cabinet is in the Manchester City Art Gallery.